Frequently Asked Questions on Consular Affairs

Q: How many states have established consulates-general or honorary consulates in H.K. after its return to China? 

A: To this day, China has reached agreements on the establishment of consulates-general in H.K. with sixty two countries, including Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Bahamas, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Chile, Columbia, Czech, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Philippine, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Swiss, Thailand, Turkey, the Democratic People?s Republic of Korea, the Republic of Korea, United Arab Emirates, U.K., U.S.A., Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam. In additional to that, China has concluded agreements on the establishment of honorary consulates in H.K. with forty nine countries: Barbados, Benin, Cameroon, Central Africa, Cote d? Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Fiji, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Iceland, Ireland, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Monaco, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Seychelles, Slovak, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Uganda, Vanuatu. 

Q:How does the Chinese government address the problem of illegal immigration?
A: The Chinese government has always opposed to activities of illegal immigration, and has taken various measures to prevent illegal migrants from exiting the country. ?Sneakheads? that organize unlawful border-crossing activities will be punished according to relevant Chinese laws. In the mean time, the Chinese Government has adopted cooperative attitude towards accepting repatriations from countries where illegal entrants are verified to be a Chinese citizen. However, the problem of illegal migration has profound international backgrounds. To resolve the problem requires concerted efforts from all countries concerned. The Chinese Government has conducted effective cooperation with many countries and international organizations in the process of verification and repatriation of illegal migrants and is ready to further strengthen such kind of cooperation in the future. 

Q: Who will pay for the repatriation expenses and how?
A: Once a Chinese citizen is to be removed back to China as an illegal migrant from a foreign country after verification process, the repatriation expenses should be covered by the illegal migrant himself/herself if the foreign country concerned would not bear the fee. The family members could either personally hand in the necessary amount of money in US dollars to the Financial Department of the Chinese Foreign Ministry or transfer the Equivalent amount in RMB to the account of the Chinese Foreign Ministry(Account No: 881142-86, Account Title: Chinese Foreign Ministry ,Banks of deposit for RMB remittance: Dong Si Nan Office, Beijing Branch, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Note: ?Cost of Repatriation? and names of the person and country should be clearly indicated on the remittance bill). The Ministry will duly notify the Chinese diplomatic or consular post to make arrangement for repatriation. 

Suggest to a friend: